ADHD Diagnosis Scotland:
A Comprehensive Guide
Ruth Kennedy - 10 August 2023
[Reading Time: 4 Minutes]
Do you struggle with forgetfulness, mood swings, or impulsive behaviour? Do you feel like your lack of focus and organisation skills are holding you back in life? If so, you may have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), a neurodevelopmental disorder that can have a significant impact on everyday life.
Are you unsure where to go or what steps to take to get an ADHD diagnosis in Scotland? What are the differences between the NHS and the private sector regarding ADHD assessments? How can you manage your symptoms while waiting for an official diagnosis?
In this comprehensive guide, we'll answer these questions and more as we break down everything you need to know about getting tested for ADHD in Scotland. Ultimately, I'll also give you my best solution for alleviating ADHD symptoms while awaiting an official diagnosis.
Whether you're a young person or an adult, this guide will give you the information you need to make informed decisions about your mental health and well-being. Let's start your journey to a proper ADHD diagnosis today.
- How Do Adults Get Tested for ADHD in Scotland?
- Where Can I Go to Get an ADHD Assessment in Scotland?
- Understanding the Differences between NHS and Private ADHD Testing
- What to do While Waiting for an Official ADHD Diagnosis?
How Do Adults Get Tested for ADHD in Scotland?
For those looking for where to start, getting tested for ADHD in Scotland can involve several steps.
The first step is to visit your GP for an initial assessment. The GP will take a detailed medical history, conduct a physical examination, and ask about the symptoms you’ve experienced. They may also ask about your childhood, as ADHD symptoms often start in childhood and persist into adulthood. If the GP suspects you may have ADHD, they will refer you to a specialist for further evaluation.
The next step is to see a mental health specialist, such as a psychiatrist. The specialist will conduct a comprehensive assessment, including a review of previous medical records, self-report questionnaires, interviews, behavioural observations and even old-school records. They may also use psychological tests to assess attention, memory, and impulse control.
The specialist will then use this information to diagnose and determine the best course of treatment. See our list below for the most comprehensive guide to where to go in Scotland to be assessed for ADHD.
If you think you might have ADHD, take our self-assessment today to see whether or not you present key symptoms.
Where Can I Go to Get an ADHD Assessment in Scotland?
Looking for the best location to receive an ADHD assessment for adults in Scotland? This guide provides comprehensive information on the available options for ADHD assessment and treatment throughout Scotland.
Please note that the list does not feature any NHS facilities because in Scotland, adult ADHD services are not provided by a separate team. Instead, they are offered through the general mental health teams.
The Edinburgh Practice
- Services Provided: Their adult assessments are carried out by their consultant psychiatrist and occur over two sessions. Before the assessment, you will be given a series of questionnaires to be filled out and returned. To obtain a full developmental history, you will be asked to bring along a family member or friend who has known you for a long period of time.
- Assessment Cost: £1500
- Location: Edinburgh, EH3 6TE
- Services Provided: A consultant psychiatrist will work with you to gather information from multiple sources to establish a pattern of ADHD symptoms. Then after your assessment, they will suggest further treatment or services.
- Assessment Cost: £895
- Location: Edinburgh, EH7 4AE & Glasgow, G2 5QY
- Services Provided: At the end of the baseline assessment, a detailed and comprehensive report is provided, which outlines the formulation of the adult’s difficulties and recommendations regarding treatment interventions.
- Assessment Cost: £870
- Location: Glasgow, G21 4BF
Glasgow Psychological Services
- Services Provided: They offer assessment and diagnostic services for adults, teenagers, and child assessment for those who would like to explore the possibility that they are experiencing Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Assessment Cost: £850
- Location: Glasgow, G2 1PJ
- Services Provided: Diverse Diagnostics is a specialist mental health condition clinic offering a comprehensive online adult ADHD assessment in Glasgow and other areas in Scotland. Once a diagnosis is found, they will provide you with a tailored treatment plan that could include ADHD medications, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) or other solutions.
- Assessment Cost: £1100
- Location: Online but Glasgow based
The St Andrews Practice
- Services Provided: Their ADHD assessments involve meeting with both a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Committed to providing a “gold standard” assessment, their assessments are more expensive as they are also aware that privately diagnosed individuals are often required to be re-assessed by the NHS or other providers. So they aim to provide a high-quality assessment that meets NHS standards and evidence in a detailed assessment report.
- Assessment Cost: £1600
- Location: St Andrews, KY16 8NJ
Understanding the Differences between NHS and Private ADHD Testing
Like anywhere else in the UK, there are really two main options for getting an official ADHD diagnosis. The first option is to seek evaluation and treatment from an NHS mental health service. They can provide assessment, diagnosis, and treatment for ADHD, as well as support for the individual and their family.
To be evaluated on the NHS, first requires a referral from a GP. It's also important to note that the current waiting period to be seen by an appropriately qualified healthcare professional is a minimum of 6 months, with the average being about 2 to 3 years before being able to get assessed for ADHD.
Watch: Getting My ADHD Diagnosis As An Adult
The other option is to pursue an ADHD assessment through private means, whether through specialised ADHD clinics, organisations, or ADHD-specialised psychologists. However, this option can be quite pricey, with the average cost being around £1200 for an ADHD assessment.
Not to mention that with the extremely long waiting times for the NHS, more and more people are turning to private options. This has caused a strain on the private sector and has added long waiting times to many private organisations and practices.
If you are looking for an immediate solution to manage your ADHD symptoms while waiting for an official diagnosis, or if neither option is feasible, discover my recommended approach. Take action now and save time by utilising the convenient quick buy function.
What to do While Waiting for an Official ADHD Diagnosis?
If you suspect you may have ADHD, waiting for an official diagnosis can be a challenging and frustrating experience. The daily difficulties with focus, organisation and time management can take a toll on your mental well-being and leave you feeling overwhelmed and defeated.
However, it's important to remember that you are not alone in this journey. Many others are also waiting for answers and a path towards managing their ADHD symptoms. To help you during this waiting period, here is the number one practical tip that worked for me.
Try Natural Supplements.
Yes, you heard that right! To relieve some of my worst ADHD symptoms, I tried natural food supplements. The one that worked wonders for me was Brainzyme® FOCUS™, a line of natural supplements specifically designed to improve focus and concentration.
Don’t just take my word for it; listen to others who have found the same relief from ADHD symptoms with Brainzyme® FOCUS™ in the video below.
Watch: Brainzyme® FOCUS™ ADHD Case Study Compilation
Brainzyme® FOCUS™ contains 100% plant-powered ingredients that have been scientifically proven to support concentration, cognition, energy, memory and mental performance.
That means that if you suffer from any of the common symptoms of ADHD, Brainzyme® FOCUS™ could help.
With the waiting lists for ADHD assessments for adults growing ever longer with each passing month and the costs for private assessments so high, trying one of the powerful Brainzyme® FOCUS™ formulas is a convenient and affordable way to tackle those ADHD-like symptoms sooner rather than later.
Learn more about all three powerful Brainzyme® FOCUS™ formulas (Brainzyme® FOCUS ORIGINAL™, PRO™, and ELITE™) as effective treatments for ADHD-like symptoms by checking out the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ Starter Bundle.
In conclusion, being diagnosed with ADHD can be a life-changing experience. By exploring your options, you can make informed decisions that will positively impact your life. Whether you go through the NHS or opt for a private sector assessment, the most important thing is to take the first step towards getting the help and support you need. Remember, you are not alone in this journey.
If you are struggling with ADHD-like symptoms and are in the process of waiting for an official diagnosis, it can be challenging to manage your symptoms in the meantime. That's why I recommend exploring natural supplements such as the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ range of natural ADHD supplements, which offers three different formulas (Brainzyme® FOCUS ORIGINAL™, PRO™, and ELITE™) to suit your individual needs.
By taking a natural supplement like Brainzyme® FOCUS™, you may be able to alleviate some of the difficulties associated with ADHD, such as poor focus and organisation, and improve your mental well-being. So order the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ Starter Bundle today to try all three formulas and determine which would work best for you.
Ruth Kennedy is a freelance life coach who, after being diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, strives to help others with ADHD manage their symptoms in the best way possible. Ruth takes Brainzyme® FOCUS PRO™ daily and swears by it to help her stay focused and productive. She uses her experience as an ADHD life coach to contribute to the Brainzyme® blogs.
An American Expat living in Edinburgh, Ruth loves exploring the beautiful city and surrounding countryside with her husband and two dogs.
ADHD Assessment. (n.d.). www.adhddirect.co.uk. https://www.adhddirect.co.uk/adhd-assessment
Admin, G. (2022, December 13). Our Psychological Services. GPS. https://www.glasgowpsychologicalservices.co.uk/our-psychological-services/
Edinburgh Practice. (2022, August 2). Adult ADHD Assessments. The Edinburgh Practice. https://edinburghpractice.com/adult-adhd-assessments/
Online Adult ADHD Assessment - Glasgow | Diverse Diagnostics. (2023, January 17). DIVERSE DIAGNOSTICS. https://diversediagnostics.co.uk/adhd-in-adults/
The St Andrews Practice. (2022, August 19). Adult ADHD Assessments. https://www.thestandrewspractice.com/our-services/adult-adhd-assessments/