ADHD Assessment London:
A Comprehensive Guide for Accurate Results
Ruth Kennedy - 9 March 2023
[Reading Time: 4 Minutes]
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common condition that affects millions of people worldwide, and London is no exception. With so many people struggling with ADHD, it's essential to have access to accurate and comprehensive assessments to help diagnose and treat the condition.
This guide is designed to provide you with all the information you need to understand ADHD and navigate the assessment process in London, specifically regarding adult ADHD assessments. I've got you covered, from how to get tested and where to go for an assessment to NHS wait times and private diagnosis costs.
Plus, in the end, I'll give you my best solution for how to cope with symptoms of ADHD while waiting for your own assessment.
- How Do I Get Tested for ADHD in London?
- Where Can I Get an Adult ADHD Assessment in London?
- NHS ADHD Assessments London
- How Long is the NHS Waiting List for ADHD Diagnosis in London?
- Private ADHD Assessments London
- How Much Do Private ADHD Assessments Cost in London?
- How to Cope With ADHD Symptoms While You Wait for Your Assessment
How Do I Get Tested for ADHD in London?
If you suspect that you or a loved one may have ADHD, getting tested is the first step towards receiving an accurate diagnosis and finding the proper treatment. In London, there are several options for getting tested for ADHD; you just have to find the one that suits you best.
The first step in getting ADHD testing is to visit your GP. Your GP can conduct a preliminary assessment and rule out other possible causes of your symptoms. If your GP suspects you may have ADHD, they will refer you to a specialist for a more comprehensive assessment.
These specialists are trained to diagnose and treat ADHD and will conduct a comprehensive assessment, which may include interviews, questionnaires, and observation.
It's important to note that getting an accurate diagnosis of ADHD is a process that may involve multiple assessments and evaluations from different professionals. Remember that ADHD assessment should be done by professionals specialising in ADHD diagnosis, as the process is more complex than a standard psychological assessment. The diagnosis can not be made by your GP only.
If you think you might have ADHD, take our self-assessment today to see whether or not you present key symptoms.
Where Can I Get an Adult ADHD Assessment in London?
There are really two options available when it comes to getting an ADHD assessment. One, you could get a referral from your GP to receive a free diagnostic service from the National Health Service.
This process can take several weeks and often involves additional tests, such as cognitive assessments, before reaching an official diagnosis. The upside of this type of assessment is that it's free under the NHS; however, these services are often under-subscribed, and it can be difficult to get an appointment due to long waiting lists in some areas.
Or two, you can find private ADHD assessments available from private clinics or ADHD specialists.
Private assessment for ADHD often requires an evaluation from a specialist. This may be done by a healthcare professional such as a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. Private ADHD assessments typically follow the same steps as NHS ADHD assessments and involve an initial consultation followed by further testing if necessary.
The major difference between getting an assessment done by the NHS or privately is that you would need to pay for a private ADHD diagnosis.
It's important to note that since 2018 if you are registered with a GP surgery in England, and you are referred by a GP to an appropriately qualified healthcare professional, you have the right to choose the provider (qualified provider) to whom you are referred, as long as that provider is providing that service in other parts of England.
Learn more about my recommended solution for coping with ADHD symptoms while you wait to be assessed for ADHD, or take advantage and save time today by using the quick buy function.
NHS ADHD Assessments London
Looking for where to go in London for your initial adult ADHD assessment? Below we have collected information on where you can get assessed for ADHD across London through the NHS.
Central & NW London NHS FT - CNWL ADHD Service
- Services Provided: The CNWL Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) clinic offers diagnosis and medication stabilisation for adults with ADHD in preparation for discharge back to their GP for continued prescribing and monitoring.
- Current Waiting List Time: 2 years
- Postcode: HA1 3UJ
SW London & St George's Mental Health NHS Trust- Richmond ADHD Services
- Services Provided: They offer specialist assessment and diagnosis of ADHD, ADHD medication initiation and titration, focussed psychological work for ADHD (group based for the majority) and specialist medical review for those with an established diagnosis who are taking medication for ADHD.
- Current Waiting List Time: 1.5 years
- Postcode: SW17 7DJ
SW London & St George's Mental Health NHS Trust - Sutton ADHD/ASD Diagnostic Service
- Services Provided: They offer specialist assessment and diagnosis of ADHD and ASD, ADHD medication initiation and titration. focussed OT work for ADHD (group based for the majority) and specialist medical review for those with an established diagnosis who are taking medication for ADHD.
- Current Waiting List Time: 1.5 years
- Postcode: SM6 OEX
South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust - Adult ADHD & Autism Outpatient Services
- Services Provided: The initial assessment will include a diagnostic interview (DIVA) with the patient and informant(s) to identify potential ADHD symptoms and impairments. This will be done by a neurodevelopmental specialist or other trained clinical team member.
- Current Waiting List Time: 4 years
- Postcode: SE5 8AZ
Camden & Islington NHS FT - Adult ADHD Clinic
- Services Provided: The Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Clinic provides specialist assessment, medical and psychological interventions for adults who are referred with possible ADHD presentations.
- Current Waiting List Time: 4 years
- Postcode: NW1 0PE
Barnet, Enfield & Haringey MH NHS Trust - Adult ADHD Service
- Services Provided: They offer new patient assessment, diagnosis, medication testing and titration with 12-month annual reviews. They are also currently working towards developing non-pharmaceutical services such as group therapy, activities and psychoeducation.
- Current Waiting List Time: 2 years
- Postcode: N15 3TH
How Long is the NHS Waiting List for ADHD Diagnosis in London?
The waiting time for an initial ADHD assessment through the National Health Service (NHS) in London can vary depending on several factors, including the availability of specialists or resources and the pressure on the NHS. This means that the waiting time may be longer during certain times of the year or in areas with high demand for services.
According to the NHS, the waiting time for an ADHD assessment in most boroughs of London is a minimum of 6 months. However, the reality is that it is more likely you would be waiting at least 2 years to be seen by a specialist.
In fact, many of the NHS clinics are currently so backed up that they have had to suspend even receiving referrals for up to 6 months, pushing wait times even further back.
Watch: First patient diagnosed at ADHD clinic created to beat health service waiting lists – BBC News
Another factor waiting times can depend on is the urgency of your case. If your symptoms are severe or impacting your daily life, your GP or referral professional may prioritise your case and help you get an appointment sooner.
It's recommended that you inquire about the waiting time for an ADHD assessment with your GP or the NHS clinic that you are referred to. They will be able to provide you with more accurate information about the waiting time for an assessment in your area.
Need to manage your ADHD symptoms and don’t have time to wait for an official diagnosis? Check out my solution for coping with ADHD below!
If you think you have ADHD and are waiting for an official diagnosis but are looking for relief now, we recommend trying the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ Starter Bundle to see if one of the three formulas might work for you.
Private ADHD Assessments London
Don't want to deal with the long wait times of the NHS and are considering going down the private route? Here is a list of private clinics and ADHD specialists available in the Greater London Area.
Ciconia Recovery Ltd - Ciconia Recovery London
- Services Provided: Based on evidence-based best practices and meeting NICE guidelines. CRL provides a very detailed and fully comprehensive ADHD assessment that includes: a full cognitive functioning assessment, 60 minutes consultation with the psychiatrist, screening for other common mental health conditions, a psychiatric report after the assessment and a treatment plan and recommendations.
- Assessment Cost: £595
- Postcode: HA3 9HT
The Sloane Court Clinic
- Services Provided: The Sloane Court Clinic offers a comprehensive diagnostic service and offers treatment for inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity, as well as problems with organisation and planning where there is significant functional impairment.
- Assessment Cost: £950
- Postcode: SW3 4TD
The Effra Clinic
- Services Provided: The Effra Clinic offers an Adult ADHD Diagnostic Assessment suitable for someone where ADHD is suspected, but they have not previously been diagnosed with ADHD. This includes the use of gold-standard diagnostic tools (DIVA 5.0), thorough psychiatric assessment and QbTest. Following the assessment, you will receive a comprehensive report.
- Assessment Cost: £1050
- Postcode: W1G 6HX
- Services Provided: Psymplicity Healthcare provides an integrated approach to adult ADD and ADHD treatment. They tailor a treatment plan to suit your needs using an advanced combination of medication and modern psychological and coaching techniques.
- Assessment Cost: Unknown
- Postcode: W1G 9QD
- Services Provided: A 90-minute comprehensive testing assessment & report and a 20-minute follow-up appointment thereafter. If you are found to have ADHD, your ADHD specialist will create a multidisciplinary treatment plan which will address your psychological, behavioural, and occupational/educational needs.
- Assessment Cost: £2240
- Postcode: W1G 9QD
Giaroli Centre Neurodevelopmental Psychiatry
- Services Provided: Each clinician at this centre has their own approach to assessments and treatment and may tailor their approach depending on the patient's clinical presentation.
- Assessment Cost: £790
- Postcode: W1G 9QW
How Much Do Private ADHD Assessments Cost in London?
Based on the assessment costs listed above, the average cost of a private ADHD assessment in London is £1,125. However, the cost of a private ADHD assessment in London can vary depending on the type of assessment, the qualifications of the professional conducting the assessment, and the location of the clinic or practice.
It's important to note that the cost of a private ADHD assessment may also depend on the type of assessment you seek. A full diagnostic assessment, which typically includes cognitive, academic, and neuropsychological testing, may cost more than a more basic assessment.
With prices like those, it is no wonder not many people go the private route unless they absolutely have to. Unfortunately, with NHS waiting times steadily increasing, that is becoming a reality for many people with ADHD symptoms.
How to Cope With ADHD Symptoms While You Wait for Your Assessment
Whether it's the time spent waiting on the NHS or taking the time to be able to financially afford a private ADHD diagnosis, waiting for an ADHD assessment can be a stressful and challenging time.
While waiting for your ADHD assessment, it's essential to take care of yourself physically and emotionally, keep a record of your symptoms, educate yourself about ADHD, and seek additional support. These steps can help you manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life while you wait for an assessment.
As someone who has been in your shoes, I'd like to give you my personal recommendation on what helped get me through my waiting period.
Natural food supplements.
That's right; I took natural food supplements to alleviate some of my worst ADHD-like symptoms. And let me tell you, the one that worked best was Brainzyme® FOCUS™, a range of natural ADHD supplements.
Watch: Brainzyme® FOCUS™ ADHD Case Study Compilation
Brainzyme® FOCUS™ contains 100% plant-powered ingredients that have been scientifically proven to support concentration, cognition, energy, memory and mental performance.
That means that if you suffer from any of the common symptoms of ADHD, Brainzyme® FOCUS™ could help.
With the waiting lists for ADHD assessments for adults growing ever longer with each passing month and the costs for private assessments so high, trying one of the powerful Brainzyme® FOCUS™ formulas is a convenient and affordable way to tackle those ADHD-like symptoms sooner rather than later.
Learn more about all three powerful Brainzyme® FOCUS™ formulas (Brainzyme® FOCUS ORIGINAL™, PRO™, and ELITE™) as effective treatments for ADHD-like symptoms by checking out the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ Starter Bundle.
If you want to try an
- affordable (at only £44),
100% plant-powered range of ADHD supplements today, you can get 10% off your very first purchase of the Brainzyme® FOCUS™Starter Bundle! Use the code WELCOME10 when checking out.
In conclusion, ADHD is a common condition affecting millions worldwide. Getting an accurate assessment is the first step towards receiving a diagnosis and finding the right treatment. There are really two options available when trying to get assessed for ADHD in London.
You can either be referred to the NHS and wait for over 2 years for an initial assessment or take your referral to a private ADHD clinic and pay upwards of £500 for an assessment.
Neither choice is straightforward, so while waiting for your ADHD assessment, it's important to take care of yourself physically and emotionally, record your symptoms, educate yourself about ADHD and seek additional support.
My best suggestion for additional support is to try a natural supplement such as one of the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ formulas to help you manage your ADHD symptoms while waiting for an official diagnosis. With the right resources and support, it is possible to manage ADHD and lead a fulfilling life.
If you have ADHD-like symptoms, check out all three Brainzyme® FOCUS™ formulas (Brainzyme® FOCUS ORIGINAL™, PRO™, and ELITE™) by buying the Brainzyme® FOCUS™ Starter Bundle today to see which one would work best for you.
Ruth Kennedy is a freelance life coach who, after being diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, strives to help others with ADHD manage their symptoms in the best way possible. Ruth takes Brainzyme® FOCUS PRO™ daily and swears by it to help her stay focused and productive. She uses her experience as an ADHD life coach to contribute to the Brainzyme® blogs.
An American Expat living in Edinburgh, Ruth loves exploring the beautiful city and surrounding countryside with her husband and two dogs.
ADHD Assessment and Treatment Service :: Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust. (n.d.). https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/services/mental-health-services/adult-and-older-adult/northwick-park-hospital/adhd-assessment-and-treatment-service
Admin, V. (n.d.). Service Detail - South London and Maudsley. https://slam.nhs.uk/service-detail/service/adhd-and-asd-services-outpatients-164/
Adult ADHD - Fast and Affordable Assessment and Treatment in London. (2022, June 20). Ciconia Recovery. https://www.ciconiarecovery.com/i/adult-adhd/
Adult ADHD Service. (n.d.). https://www.beh-mht.nhs.uk/services/adult-adhd-service/265
Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) Clinic →. (n.d.). Sloane Court Clinic. https://www.sloanecourtclinic.com/getting-help/specialised-clinics/adult-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-add-adhd-clinic/
Home. (n.d.). The Giaroli Centre. https://www.dr-giaroli.org/
Neuro Developmental Disorders (NDD) | Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust. (n.d.). https://www.candi.nhs.uk/our-services/neuro-developmental-disorders-ndd
Psymplicity Healthcare. (2022, August 19). Private Adult ADHD Specialists in London | Psymplicity Healthcare. Psymplicity. https://psymplicity.com/conditions/add-adhd-in-adults/
Richmond Adult ADHD. (n.d.). South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust. Retrieved January 24, 2023, from http://www.swlstg-tr.nhs.uk/our-services/find-a-service/service/richmond-adhd
Sutton ADHD/ASD Diagnostic Service. (n.d.). South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust. Retrieved January 24, 2023, from http://www.swlstg-tr.nhs.uk/our-services/find-a-service/service/sutton-adhd-asd
The Effra Clinic - Experts in ADHD and Autism. (n.d.). https://effraclinic.co.uk/
Thomas, K. (n.d.). ADHD and ADD Test London • Private Psychology • Harley TherapyTM. Copyright ©2006-2021 Harley Therapy, All Rights Reserved. https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/adult-adhd-assessment-london.htm
ADHD Medication: a natural alternative* that starts to work in 60 minutes.
Brainzyme® FOCUS™ Starter Bundle
- Three Powerful Formulas
- 100% Plant-Powered
- Scientifically Proven
- UK Made Supplement