The 8 Best Brain Supplements That Actually Work in 2019
Brain supplements, also known as 'smart pills', 'smart drugs' or nootropics are becoming increasingly popular on campuses in the workplace all over the world.
The term brain supplements tends to refer to natural nootropics, rather than synthetic nootropics such as Modafinil, Adderall or Ritalin. If you'd like to learn more about synthetic nootropics, you can check out our 2019 Smart Pill Review.
What Are Brain Supplements?
Brain supplements are supplements that support cognitive function (focus, concentration, mental performance, mental energy etc).
They can be classed as a type of ‘nootropic’, but the term brain supplement usually refers to natural substances (e.g. superfoods, herbals, amino acids, vitamins, minerals etc) rather than pharmaceuticals.
Brain supplements can be useful for students, professionals, parents, or anyone who is generally active.
The 8 Best Brain Supplements That Actually Work in 2019
As mentioned, brain supplements typically do not contain drugs or pharmaceuticals. They focus largely on using food-supplement quality ingredients to nourish the brain and improve its performance.
Below, we have listed our favourite tried and tested supplements for the brain:
1) Acetyl L-Carnitine - Acetyl L-Carnitine is an amino acid. Its name comes from the Latin word for ‘meat’, as it was first isolated from meat products. It is also found in asparagus, avocado and other vegetables. Acetyl L-Carnitine functions as an antioxidant in your body, which helps to mitigate brain fog. Moreover, Acetyl L-Carnitine might be able to increase metabolism in the brain, that helps boost alertness and cognitive function.
2) B Vitamins - B Vitamins are found in many brain supplements. This is because B Vitamins have been found by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) to “contribute to psychological function.” They generally help boost mental clarity and get rid of 'brain fog'. There are also trials underway at the University of Oxford that may solidify the theory that a lack of B Vitamins may be linked with dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
3) Choline - Choline, found in cruciferous vegetables and eggs, is another popular ingredient in brain supplements. This is because choline becomes acetylcholine in the human body, which is a neurotransmitter that's important for regulating cognitive processes, mood and intelligence. Interestingly, choline is also very useful for some medical imaging techniques.
4) Curcumin - Curcumin is what gives turmeric its yellow pigment, and successive studies have shown that it is great for your body and brain.
Not only may it help alleviate symptoms of depression, and act as an antioxidant, but it also helps soothe inflammation, a leading cause of brain fog.
5) Gingko Biloba - Gingko Biloba comes from the Maidenhair Tree, native to China. It's one of the worlds oldest trees, with fossil records showing that they have been around for at least 270 million years (around the period when the first ever large carnivores and herbivores came into existence).
Each individual tree can live thousands of years, and there have been written records showing that in 2600 B.C.E Gingko Biloba was used to treat asthma and bronchitis. The list of the purported benefits of Gingko Biloba is extremely long, making it one of the most widely-used supplements today and perhaps one of the most interesting trees in history.
6) Panax Ginseng - Panax Ginseng is a plant from China. A popular herbal remedy that has been used for thousands of years is made out of the root of the plant.
It has a reputation for having many positive effects for brain health and general wellbeing.
7) Tyrosine - Tyrosine is 1 out of 20 essential amino acids that our body requires to properly break down protein. Whilst it can be found in a multitude of food, such as avocados, fish, eggs, milk and more, some people do have a disorder where they can't make Tyrosine on their own. These people will need to take Tyrosine supplements.
Furthermore, Tyrosine is also extremely helpful for those who are under a high amount of stress or are sleep deprived, as it can increase alertness, memory and learning.
8) Probiotics - Probiotics such as Acidophilus have been in the news recently due to the fact that scientists, doctors and nutritionists have been finding more and more links between the gut and the brain. Ever had a 'gut feeling' about something? That's the most obvious way the gut communicates with the brain, but recent research suggests what's going on in the gut can affect mood, memory, concentration and mental performance.
This is the reason why probiotics are becoming a staple in biohacker toolkits.
Bonus: Our Recommended Brain Supplement: BrainZyme®
It is our belief that BrainZyme® is the best brain supplement currently on the market anywhere in the world.
BrainZyme contains all of the ingredients listed above, plus much much more. Here are four more reasons you should consider BrainZyme:
Watch: Reasons to Choose BrainZyme®.
There are four main reasons why we think this. BrainZyme is: effective, safe, legal and great value for money.
BrainZyme is Effective
- Backed up by real science.
- Rated 4 stars or over by 91% of customers.
- Real, tangible effects within one hour.
- Excellent write-ups by leading doctors, nutritionists and the media.
Watch: BrainZyme® Customer Review Compilation Video
BrainZyme is Safe
- Only uses naturally-sourced and vegan ingredients that have had a long history of scientific study.
- Excellent customer support team on hand to guide you through the right dosage, and how to make the most out of BrainZyme®.
- Our testing is also safe - we do not test on animals and are completely cruelty-free.
BrainZyme is Completely Legal
- All of BrainZyme's products are completely legal around the world.
- Completely safe for competitors. BrainZyme offers Informed Sport batch testing (the most intense lab testing available anywhere in the world: guaranteed 100% safe for high-performance World Anti-Doping Agency use).
BrainZyme is Great Value for Money
- Starting at 33p per capsule - much cheaper and more effective than a daily cup of coffee, other supplements or pharmaceutical study drugs.
- Save money - with our value packs you can save extra money.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee - if you are not happy with BrainZyme for whatever reason, you can return them to us for a full refund.
Nootropic Supplements Made From Brain Supplement Ingredients
As a result of the positive effects that brain supplement ingredients can have on the brain, it's possible to use these ingredients together, in a nootropic supplement. This might also be called a nootropic 'stack', which is a mix of several complementary ingredients.
These stacks or supplements contrast greatly with other more popular nootropics such as 'smart drugs'. We will explore this further in the sixth section of this article, but in short, nootropic supplements made from these natural ingredients can be just as effective as pharmaceutical smart drugs, such as Modafinil, Adderall, Ritalin and Noopept, while remaining safer and more affordable.
Why Are Nootropic Brain Supplements Good?
Brain supplements can provide several benefits and advantages, which we will detail below.
Brain supplements may help you concentrate. They can increase your ability to focus, making you able to work more effectively or maintain concentration for longer on something you otherwise might find dull. People who are studying, or who need to focus for long hours, might find this effect helpful.
Brain supplements can support motivation, too. This can be the result of nutrients provided by the supplement, or because of the enhanced concentration, it gives you. Either way, some brain supplements may be able to give you a greater ‘will to work'.
Mental energy is another important facet of cognition that brain supplements can help with. Giving your brain a well-designed supplement can help stave off mental fatigue, and boost both your mental performance through a boost to your energy levels. Brain supplements can help you be more alert and get more done with the hours in the day.
It’s also possible to boost your performance under pressure by using brain supplements. Some brain supplements are designed to help you think more clearly while under pressure. They can be very helpful if you’re about to sit an exam, deliver a presentation or anything else that might be quite stressful and requires you to think clearly.
If you are looking for a brain supplement that helps you perform under pressure, we recommend BrainZyme® Professional.
Brain supplements can also help your mood. The thorough nutrition that brain supplements provide can, in some instances, help your mood, which may make getting through your work easier.
If you are looking for a brain supplement that acts as a mood enhancer, we recommend BrainZyme® Elite.
Brain Supplements Vs ‘Smart Drugs’
Additionally, brain supplements have numerous advantages over the aforementioned pharmaceutical 'smart drugs’.
Many ‘smart drugs’, such as Ritalin, Adderall or Modafinil* can have very intense effects. They can be useful for short periods but are too intense in many instances. ‘Smart drugs’ can cause restlessness, nervousness and over-stimulation. This can actually impede you when you need to concentrate and work. And, there may be a chemical crash after the effects of a ‘smart drug’ have worn off that will make it harder to work the next day.
Most non-pharmaceutical brain supplements and natural nootropics avoid this problem. Their effects are much smoother because these kinds of brain supplements work synergistically with your body to improve your brainpower through nutrition. Consequently, brain supplements are still very impactful, while avoiding the problems associated with over-stimulating ‘smart drugs’.
Moreover, many ‘smart drugs’ can cause quite significant side-effects. For example, Modafinil has been commonly reported to cause insomnia, headaches, stomach trouble and other problems. There is also the risk of more severe side effects, with many pharmaceutical ‘smart drugs’ having the potential to cause quite serious issues. Modafinil, according to the FDA, can exacerbate mental problems or cause acute rashes. These effects are rare but are cited as potential issues.
Brain supplements that avoid pharmaceuticals do not cause these sorts of problems. The side effects associated with brain supplements tend to be much less severe. With brain supplements, the worst side effects you will encounter are dehydration or mild headaches - and these tend to be very rare. Similarly, there are minimal risks of provoking or exacerbating mental problems as the result of using a natural nootropic or brain supplement.
Finally, ‘smart drugs’ are frequently bought online, from offshore pharmacies. This can be both expensive, and the quality of the products may be compromised as these pharmacies operate outside of British regulations. Their products could be adulterated, or otherwise impure - this can cause even more unwanted effects. You don’t know for certain what’s in a pill bought from an unregulated retailer.
Brain supplements are largely available legally, from licensed producers within the UK. This means their products are regulated and guaranteed to contain what they’re meant to. Moreover, their pricing is more competitive, and there is frequently no need to pay expensive shipping costs as you might with a ‘smart drug’ bought from overseas.
This article has addressed brain supplements. It has defined what ‘brain supplements’ are, what they might contain and what benefits they can provide. Moreover, it has compared them with pharmaceutical ‘smart drugs’, to illustrate the advantages brain supplements have over their pharmaceutical counterparts.